Tips for Finding a Rental by Team EvoAZ at Revelation Real Estate
1) SEARCH HOMES ON THE MULTIPLE LISTING SERVICE – If you choose to search properties that are only listed on the MLS, which is the safest way, check out MOMnationAZ Moving Resources. From this page, easily search hundreds of homes for rent in different cities around the Valley.
2) SEARCH A REPUTABLE WEBSITE! – HOTPADS is a great website to search! It includes Single Family Homes, Apartments, Town homes, and Condos. This site also shows you school ratings, which can be helpful in your search especially if you’re coming from out of state.
Trulia.com has excellent crime maps that can help you single out areas you’d like to be in. CRIME STATS
3) POTENTIAL SCAMS – You should be cautious of potential scams. If the rent price seems to good to be true, it probably is. Never wire money to secure a property if you haven’t seen it in person or at least chatted with a property management company. It’s always best to have something in writing securing your position before making any deposits.
It’s also always a good idea to check the tax records if the home is listed “By Owner” to be sure the person is legitimate. Maricopa County Tax Records
4) CHALLENGING CREDIT – If you have challenging credit issues, we always recommend writing a letter with your application explaining your situation and what you are doing to improve it. Include family photos as well so you can connect more with the person reviewing applications.
5) BUYING A HOME AFTER YOUR LEASE IS UP- Looking to buy a home in the future and want to get your credit in tip top shape? We have a fantastic “Mortgage guy”, Ryan, who will give you a free action plan to bring your credit score up and get you in the best position to own your own home! Send an email to JENN and Jenn, our Real Estate Ninja, will get you in contact with him! He’s really cool and an excellent resource. He just helped one of our own Real Estate Ninjas improve their credit and purchase a home with only $750 down instead of $15,000 (less money than a security deposit!)
6) WORD OF MOUTH – Join neighborhood Facebook groups to get a feel for the community. Ask about schools, crime, and neighborhood events.
Happy House Hunting!